Friday 20 April 2012

Will you fight for an independent?

I'm not the kind of person who usually passes on follow requests, voting requests, buy requests or indeed any other type of request from music artists. God knows I encounter tens if not hundreds of these every single week on my travels round the Internet, and I take the view that with everyone else in the same position, the last thing I want to be doing is adding to their spam level by passing even more requests on. Seems every artist on this planet is in a permanent state of wanting something shared with the world.

I often find myself facing an internal conflict on this though. As someone who has been actively looking for music outside of whatever the current song/artist of the moment is for the past ten years, I know how difficult it is to sort through the mass out there and hence why artists try to convince others to spread the word.

So on the few occasions I do step forward on this, it's usually because I think they've got a genuine chance and/or I'm convinced I'm looking at one of the "good guys" and I'm in the sort of mood where I'd really like to see them stick a metaphorical finger up the music establishment.

Today is one of those occasions. I'm stepping forward and asking for your help.

If you've been following my blog, you'll know I've been mentioning Matthew Ebel's new album "The Lives of Dexter Peterson" in a number of my posts. Well the album is now out, but he's aiming to see if he can get either the album, or a specific song from it into the charts on Amazon, iTunes or both by getting people to purchase on 25th April. If it hits the top 10 on either, he'll send everyone who signed up to help a copy of the album commentary that has only been available to some of his subscribers. And I'm in the kind of mood where it would really make my day to see this happen.

So if Matthew Ebel succeeds in this, I will give a free VIP matthewebel.net subscription for an entire year to one of those who helped. That's something that Matthew would normally charge $149 for. If you want the full details of what one of those contains, then you'll need to read this (look for the section VIP Pass), but essentially it includes live concert recordings, music and behind the scenes material as well as an invite to his annual beer bash, after-show parties, goodie bag and 2 chances to win your own custom song during the year.

There are only two conditions
1. You have to have signed up using the form here. If you're not on Matthew Ebel's list of names then obviously you won't be eligible for the chance to get this in the first place.
2. This is in addition to the free commentary track (which is nearly an hour in length btw) being offered. i.e. Matthew's conditions state that he needs to hit the top 10 on either Amazon or iTunes for those on his list to get the free commentary track, so this extra of the free VIP subscription for a year for one person will only apply if he gives out the free commentary track to everyone on the list he has.

As you ought to realise from this, Matthew is aware I'm putting this on the table as the winner would need to be chosen at random from his list (which is something I don't have access to)

So what do you say? Will you help me fight for an independent artist with no promotional budget or team by buying the song (or indeed the entire album) he has listed here on 25th April? I'm willing to give away a full year subscription so someone can have a free taste of the kind of thing I've been subscribing to for the past three years because I believe he's doing things people need to hear. Will you spend just 99c for me (and him)?

And can I also count on you to pass the information in this blog post on?

Either way, you have my thanks for reading.

P.S. If you want to hear what's on the album first, then this is the link you need.

No comments: