Tuesday 23 February 2010

Sellaband goes bankrupt

If there's one thing I hate, it's the regularity with which my alarm bells tend to be right. I told you in my February hatchet day post that I'd been rattled out of my comfort zone and it seems the calm has ended and the predicted storm has arrived in the form of Sellaband declaring bankruptcy. Not necessarily what I was thinking of at the time I wrote my original comments, but also a possibility that was in the back of my mind.

Obviously today's announcement affects this blog in a big way, however I'll be waiting for the dust to settle before making a full announcement. I do aim to post some time around the expected March "hatchet day" however with an initial set of thoughts based on how things develop between now and then. I suspect that will still be too soon for a full announcement though.

In the meantime, if you did stumble over this blog, or even came here deliberately looking for more information than can be found by the simple statement on the Sellaband homepage, you might like to know I've reopened a section of the forum I used to run before Sellaband had one of their own. So if you're looking for information, or even to reconnect with other Sellaband artists and believers you'll find them at sellaband.proboards.com. If you had an account there in the old days and didn't delete it, your old login details are still valid, otherwise you'll need to register in order to post (you won't if you just want to read).

Just remember I am unofficial and don't/have never worked for Sellaband, so I don't have an inside line to what exactly is going on - this is more an attempt to give what's left of the community a port in the storm and the opportunity to communicate what they know with each other until the (any?) future of the site becomes clear. So just remember to play nice over there, because you don't want my knives after you! ;-)

2 comments:

Storm said...

I`m not surprised. What you don't know is that they were nearly bankrupt two years ago.... and were only saved when they got that investment money (what was it, $5 million?).

No-one will invest in a new entity if they know anything of Sellaband's history. It will need a complete name-change and also country change.

Sellaband were run very badly in too many ways. A shame as it's a great idea. Now maybe you know a little of what it's been like for Mandyleigh and most probably alot of the other artists... www.mandyleigh.com/sellaband/

Now we know why they couldn't be arsed responding to her (still haven't replied) and other artists lately.

Unknown said...

Lucretia, I just thought I'd share it here too:

--- ---
The new CEO of SellaBand has been interviewed in the latest edition of TalentCast. The programme can be downloaded or listened to on our website: http://www.talentcast.nl/ It will be available there for for a week.
--- ---

By the way - thank you for reopening your forum!

Cheers, Cat