Friday 26 June 2009

Defining the vision

Let me share my vision

These are early days, but I already have my own vision of what Sellaband could be in future given the right amount of time and effort. I think Sellaband can be bigger than you imagine!

I'd like to think that every artist who records on here will have such a great memory of doing so, that they'll want to keep coming back again and again. If you are an artist who wants to control their own destiny, this could well be the place for you.

Because why stop at recording music? How about playing it as well?

I see so many artists with fans asking "When are you going to come and play in my country?". Imagine an established Sellaband artist with a list of venues for their tour. Countries they don't think they have the money to visit at that time but where they have fans. Could you prove them wrong and help them raise enough money for a tour date in return for your concert tickets and that elusive backstage pass?

Things are never quite that simple, but... Do you begin to see the power yet? The possibilities?

I am only a believer, but I believe the future may hold wondrous things
.

Back in the early days of Sellaband, those words used to be all that greeted someone on a visit to my profile information. And whilst the information I put there has expanded, that quote is still buried in there too. It gives just the tiniest glimpse into what I saw as a potential future that Sellaband could provide, based on what I read on the site.

It was one of those "what if" moments that turns into a "but if that happens, then.." and which basically kept going to the point of "wow, did I really just conclude that?". The future of music, defined in less time than it has taken you to read this far. What I "saw" that day is something I've never explained to anyone else, usually by using the excuse "it would take too long". In many ways it's something I thought I would never go through the process of writing down, purely because it is that big and complicated (yet at the same time so simple really), but the "How to fix Sellaband" post started by Bulletproof Messenger on the Sellaband forum has convinced me the time is now right to go through in detail and share the route I went through the day I had that vision.

Can you see what I saw? I honestly don't know. Am I going to have the time patience and commitment to get all the way through the story? I don't know that either at this point, but I do know that if I don't start I'll never get finished anyway. So let's see how far I can get, and to that end you can now expect a series of posts with titles starting "The knifelady's vision" popping up at irregular intervals in this blog over the coming weeks. Let me tell you my story, and lets see how many I can convince (including myself) that Sellaband is (still) the right place to be...

2 comments:

MaWa said...

...if your 'what if' turns into a 'what if not, but' ... you know where to find me

oh, almost forgot: ;)

Walter Mulder said...

looking forward to your vision
but don't dream to big, SellaBand seems to be visionless (look for example to the ABC's and what has become of it)